Movies That Rock!

So I can't just tell people what's terrible.  I've gotta pass on some good stuff, too.  So here we go, once again, in no particular order:

1.) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind












Fucking brilliant.  I love this movie.  Everyone has been there - wanting to forget - and the whole story....it just gets. you. right. here.


2.) Adaptation












Now THIS is a mind-bender.  Just when you think you've got it figured out, another curve ball.  I love the beginning, I love the end, the full-circle effect.  It is beautiful, confusing and wonderful.  And for those of us who are (more than a little bit?) neurotic, I love the relatability of Nicolas Cage as writer Charlie Kaufman.

3.) Legally Blonde












It's so funny and truth be told - weirdly inspirational.  Every time I watch this movie I feel inspired like I can do anything I want in spite of not having Reese Witherspoon's body or that gorgeous hair or disposable income and a BMW, etc.  The point is it just makes you feel so good.


4.) Along Came Polly












Jennifer Aniston and Ben Stiller at their best.  I love this movie.  Makes me laugh out loud and is also so sweet.  You can't watch this movie and NOT smile.  As an aside, this is the first movie Shawn and I watched together.


5.) Stranger Than Fiction












This is my absolute favorite movie.  It is beautiful, funny, and moving.  Dustin Hoffman is in top form, the writing is exceptional and the story is so unique and creative.  I love everything about it.  Maggie Gyllenhaal rocks.  If I ever write something this clever, I will consider my life's mission accomplished.  If you haven't seen it - watch it. 


6.) Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo












From the raunchy files comes this comedy that cracks me up every single time I watch it.  It's so low-brow.  T.J. is the best.  Watch it when you need to laugh after a shitty day.


7.) Sling Blade












This is a powerful movie.  Billy Bob Thornton proves his mettle and demonstrates his Oscar- winning abilities on more than one platform.  It's not something you're going to sit and watch again and again, but it's so worth it to watch.


8.) Cool Hand Luke












A classic for a reason.  I was turned onto this movie in a high school literature class where we dissected the deeper meanings behind various elements.  It's one of the very few times in life that dissection has allowed me to enjoy something more instead of less.

9.) The Wedding Singer












It's sweet, it's cute, it's funny, it's retro-fun.  Ah, the 80's.


10.) Halloween












The single best Halloween movie ever made.  Not just a horror classic, an all-around classic.  A must-see.  Best horror theme music ever and still scary after a zillion viewings.


11.) Scream












It set a new standard and a new precedence of making fun of its own genre.  So much fun and plenty of scares.  Current and enjoyable every time.


12.) Love Actually












A holiday movie that can be watched any time of year, a supremely enjoyable film and I challenge everyone who sees it - you will relate to SOMEONE in this movie, if not multiple characters.  My favorite plot lines are the Colin Firth and Hugh Grant stories.  Give it a look-see.


13.) Die Hard












'Yippe-kay-yay, motherfucker.'  Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber.  Enough said.


14.) Spaceballs












What can I say?  It's funny as shit.


15.) (500) Days of Summer












Clever, unusual, current.  The writing is awesome, it's a good story and has excellent visuals.  If you haven't seen it, watch it.


All images from imdb.com

No comments :

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...