SLIDER

A to Z Book Survey





So this bad boy has been floating around the internet and of course I must do it, because - books.

So far, two bloggers I follow (Meg and Nova,) have done it and I can't wait any longer.

Author you've read the most books from:
In terms of just numbers, my whole life, probably R.L. Stine, because I read Goosebumps and Fear Street like it was my job back in the day.  Otherwise probably John Irving?

Best sequel ever:
Probably Shopaholic Takes Manhattan - which isn't exactly the best sequel ever, but it is a sequel that made me laugh out loud and I didn't want to beat the author over the head with a copy of the book for having written it.  (I haven't read George R.R. Martin yet, so no bitching, either.  It's on The List.)

Currently reading:
This Book is Full of Spiders by David Wong.  (Which incidentally, is a sequel, so...)

Drink of choice while reading:
Whatever I'm thirsty for.

E-reader or physical book?
All around, I prefer physical books.  I like to break the spines and make notes and such.

Fictional character you probably would have dated in high school:
Dude, seriously?  Neville Longbottom.  Because let's talk about how cool I was in high school.  Though of course I would've had a crush on frickin' Fred & George Weasley.

Glad you gave this book a chance:
Um....all of them?

Hidden Gem Book:
Velma Still Cooks in Leeway by Vinita Hampton Wright - A surprising amount of depth is shown in the daily life of a midwestern woman.

Important moment in your reading life:
One would be when I read Catch-22 for the first time in junior high.  I was blown away.

Just finished:
The Tao of Martha by Jen Lancaster

Kinds of books you won't read:
Two words: vampire. romance.  Ugh.

Longest book you've read:
I don't know; it's hard to say with fonts and paperback vs. hardback and crap.  Probably either Goblet of Fire or The StandLast Night in Twisted River by John Irving FELT the longest.

Major book hangover because of:
Death Be Not Proud (memoir) by John Gunther.  I cried hard, heaving sobs while reading this book and it left me emotionally drained by the end.  Worth it.

Number of bookcases you own:
One tall one.  I am an avid library user and also I try only to keep the books I really-really want.

One book you have read multiple times:
Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding.  I despised it the first time I tried to read it.  The second time around, I laughed my ass off and fell in love.  Now I read it an average of once a year, usually in winter, because for some reason I associate Bridget Jones with winter time and I always need a laugh.

Preferred place to read:
Wherever.  On the couch.  Waiting for a friend at a coffee place. 

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you've read:
Oh, bloody hell.  Let's see....dude, it's hard.  I don't really memorize books, that's why I underline things.  One line I never forgot is actually only part of a sentence: "...soothe my shattered self."  From Life of Pi.

Reading Regret:
Over the Holidays was a pretty awful excuse for a book and I could've lived without that experience.

Series you started and need to finish (all books in series are out):
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larson; I've read the first but not the second two yet.

Three of your all-time favorite books:
This is hard because I tend to qualify things by category, e.g., chick-lit, horror, memoir, etc.  In general though....(thinking, staring at bookshelf....) nope, can't be done.  Sorry.

Unapologetic fan girl for:
Harry Potter.  Yes, really.

Very excited for this release more than all the others:
I don't know.  I'm not really waiting for anything at the moment.

Worst bookish habit:
Reading too many books at once, or starting and stopping one because I got distracted by another. 

X marks the spot - start at the top left of your bookshelf and find the 27th book:
(Side note: why not the 24th book, which would make more sense for X marking the spot?)
The 27th book: The Zombie Survival Guide. 
And the 24th book: John Dies at the End by David Wong

Your latest book purchase:
This Book is Full of Spiders by David Wong
and
How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu.

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up way late):
World War Z, definitely.  I read it when it first came out in like, two days and I had dry, bloodshot eyes from staring at the pages and I ended up with crazy nightmares whenever I'd sleep.  




2 comments

  1. You read Catch 22 in jr. high? I STILL can't understand it. haha

    Also just realized I'm not even following your blog. What the? I have corrected this grievous error.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't really understand-understand it, but I enjoyed it. And hell yes, I am feeling honored! :p

      Delete


© The United States of Becky • Theme by Maira G.