Face-My-Book

In my last post, I shared that I had removed the facebook app from my phone and had conflicted feelings about it.

Now, I feel the need to share a couple things:
1.) I currently use an Android.
2.) It's old. When I bought it, the model I have had already been out for two years, I think. So in phone land, it's ancient. However, it works well, meets my needs, and like Harry Potter lusting over the Firebolt, while I dream of having a shiny sexy new whip fast super new phone with a cool interesting case some day, I honestly have no good reason to give up the perfectly good Nimbus 2000 Cleansweep 7 I have now.

And no, I don't use facebook in browser because it's a pain in the butt.

REMOVAL PROS:

The app uses up more than 1/3, but less than 1/2 off my free storage space. Even after I move it to SD card, and takes up considerably less, it still occupies more than I'd like.

Without this one app, my phone runs significantly faster, I get about 99% fewer crashes-freezes-error messages. (Mainly because even when I force stop it, it's still running in the background doing all it's secret background crap. Which basically all apps do, but this one is like a super high maintenance cheerleader from a '90's movie.)

I am a lot less inclined to want to want to destroy the world. Let me explain:
I follow several news sites, from local to country to world.
The truth is, facebook is generally "the morning paper" for me.

friends shame ross david schwimmer

I have breakfast, I check instagram, I scroll through facebook and see what the big news stories are and what everybody is losing their shit over on this fine day. Many of the news stories are repeated, because. And of course, you know, if you read one news story, facebook thinks you don't know how to internet, so it gives you a whole bunch of suggestions of other places to look.
And I kind of do feel like there are a handful of stories that make up the bulk of the "mainline" news:

  • A politician/businessman had an affair/was corrupt. 
  • Someone famous turned out to be a jackass.
  • Still war in the Middle East.
  • Somebody killed a white girl under the age of 35.
  • Somebody killed a child in an overly sick, twisted, purely evil way that makes you physically nauseous.
  • Another plane crash.
  • Hurricanes, earthquakes, droughts, floods. 
  • Civil rights are not just stalled - they are going backward in this country. Seriously, What the fuck, America?
  • Politicians. (Which is very different from Politics.)
So it does get tiring after a while and I don't miss the constant in-flux of (see above). I don't wake up to my "morning paper" and immediately want to throw my phone against the wall because 
  1. It's slower than snot (is snot slow?).
  2. The world is clearly doomed.
REMOVAL CONS:

As much as I despise the news, I do like knowing what's going on.

I do like that morning paper time, checking in and seeing what's up in the world. 

I also follow some really cool, fun things, too. Like Shorty and Kodi. I do love the fun pictures and videos. 

Occasionally people I know post some cool stuff instead of stuff that makes me want to unfollow their stupid face. (Politics.) 

And truth be told, I was watching a movie this morning that I kept thinking "I could absolutely be running through facebook while watching this." So there is the cheap entertainment value that somehow just doesn't compare to anything else, because facebook just doesn't require brain power or concentration the way, say, solitaire does.

Finally, I really enjoy being able to post quickly when desired. 

I think I will probably leave it off for a while, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say on the thing. Do you use the facebook app? If so, how much/what for? How does it affect your phone? 




Finally, I was looking for something on instagram and came across the hashtag
#fuckerberg because of Zuckerberg which made me laugh more than it should have. What can I say I am easily amused. So here's what I think every time I think of #fuckerberg


lol laughing taunting humiliation the simpsons

No comments :

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...