Election 2016 My HATE FREE Thoughts

FIRST AND FOREMOST:
PLEASE STOP THE HATE

I'm not going to go into a long political rant, ok?
I am writing this post because I have friends and family who voted for Trump and who voted for Clinton and at this time, BOTH are suffering the effects of the election.

And the truth is, I didn't like Trump or Clinton as a candidate.
I was Bernie, baby.

Here is a clip of Conan O'Brien's Wednesday night monologue, where he says with humor and grace one thing we seem to forget. The whole thing is only 3 minutes long, and you don't need to watch the last several seconds if you don't want. (But puppies, so why wouldn't you want to?)




Yes, I know tons of people will debate the whole "fair" with the whole electoral college vs. one person/one vote system.
Yeah, that's not my wheelhouse.
What I'm saying is that what Conan so gently and kindly puts:

We have a voting system. We are fortunate enough that we don't live in a land where we are not allowed to vote. We don't live in a land where we have to risk having acid thrown in our faces for being Christian. (And yet we in the states like to bitch about Starbucks' "war on Christianity" or it's "war on Christmas" because of a seasonal cup design.)
Those are the people you want to slap silly.



But I digress. The point is that we are number 59 in voter turnout. That is sad, America. That is terrible.

But then again: I support your right to opt out of voting. Don't agree with it AT ALL, but I support it.

So here are some thoughts aimed at conservatives, independents, liberals, loud voices, quiet voices, everyone:


  • Conservatives: People have THE RIGHT to be angry about the outcome of this election and THE RIGHT to express that anger. They have THE RIGHT to be AFRAID and the THE RIGHT to express that fear. (Also,what did you expect?) 
  • Liberals: Attacking a conservative person/voter directly just for their beliefs is NOT ACCEPTABLE AT ALL. It undermines democracy, free thinking, respecting people despite their differences, compassion for others and all things we are SUPPOSED TO STAND FOR. NO. NO. NO.  

 - I have a friend who voted Trump, and since the night of the election, she has been harassed and attacked both verbally and on social media by people she once thought were very dear friends and family. She has been genuinely hurt and stunned.
Now, I freely admit that I don't agree with her politics. We haven't seen each other in person recently, but if we were to talk politics in person, I have no doubt it would be a calm and rational "I see your point but..." discussion. This woman, while I don't agree with her, she researched her choice and voted based on what she believed was the best choice for our country. That doesn't make her a bad person, and it doesn't make her deserving of personal attack. By all means, be angry and express that anger - hell yeah express it! - but one person did not make this happen. This is a state of our society issue.

That said....

  • Conservatives: I think a lot of you voted based on your political beliefs. What you believe is best for the country, what you believe about how the government should work, etc. I think what is happening is a lot of you are blocking out the fact that A LOT of people voted for Trump for different reasons. Reasons that are fueled by hate and bigotry. To pretend that's not true is silly and naive. And when I express my own fear because I live in the middle of a red area and look around and see a lot of....let's say "less than kind" propaganda and behavior and I am accused of being afraid of conservatives....no, honey. I come from a family of rednecks. My background is redneck. I am not afraid of conservatives. I am afraid of the KKK thinking it's suddenly a field day. I am afraid of people thinking Trump has the right idea to make all Muslims register and wear a badge. (It seems like I've heard of that somewhere before....?) I'm not afraid of responsible, intelligent gun owners who want to defend themselves. I am afraid of gun-toting maniacs who think everyone who isn't a straight white Christian is less than. And believe me - I see it. 



  • Liberals: The truth is, Hillary wasn't going to get anything done. Not because she is a woman or because she'd be this or that, but with a Republican Senate and a Republican House - ha. They would have (literally, since it's male dominated) cock-blocked her on everything. I'm not happy about the election, but if I try to find the silver lining, MAYBE this will be a wake-up call to the DNC to take the people's choice, not the person they want who will do the DNC corporate bidding. 

Maybe.

I support the protesters. We have THE RIGHT to protest. And that doesn't go for just this election, it goes for Black Lives Matter and Women's Issues and LGBT and Latinos and Asians and corporate pollution and animal trophy hunting. 
I don't support looting and violence as a form of protest.
As for burning the American Flag: it saddens me greatly. It makes my heart ache. But I believe in defending the rights of people to do it when they live in a country that is not defending their rights as a human being.

The Puritans came to the new world seeking a place where they could practice their religion without the government telling them what religion to practice (the Spanish Inquisition was basically forcing everyone to be Catholic or be burned at the stake). I think that little bit gets lost in translation when history is taught. The point is this: you can be Christian, you can have Christian values, but you have to understand that America was founded on the idea of NOT HAVING THE GOVERNMENT FORCE THEIR RELIGION ON THE PEOPLE. 
Additionally, you can't legislate morals. You can vote a certain way based on your own values and beliefs, but you cannot force those onto others. That's Theocracy, not Democracy. 

I do believe this country is headed for civil war. If the world is still around 200 hundred years from now, when they make movies about it, it won't be called "The Blue and The Grey", it's going to be called "The Red and The Blue."
The thing is, there will be a mutiny. I'm not saying I think that's good. I hope not. But taking away women's reproductive rights isn't going to stop them. We're just angrier now. All of us who don't fit into the safe white box he would have us in. 

So, here it is in summary in case you didn't want to read the whole thing:


  1. We have the right to be angry and scared and to express it.
  2. You have the right to be annoyed that people are so angry and scared. 
  3. Don't attack people personally, because doing so is asshole behavior, no matter what side you're on.
  4. Conservatives: just accept that a lot of you are awesome intelligent people and a lot of you are bigoted douche bags who are likely going to be responsible for making "Idiocracy" a documentary. 
  5. There is good and bad in both sides.
  6. BOTH candidates are corrupt - don't pretend they're not, either side.
  7. Maybe this will be a wake up call to the DNC? We hope.
  8. If the next four years suck, Republicans have no one to blame but themselves.
  9. This has actually added fuel to the rage and we need to continue to fight but NOT in a violent manner, thank you.
  10. STOP THE HATE
  11. Unfortunately, I have been saying for years (ask my husband) that we are headed for another civil war and this only adds to my belief.

No comments :

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...