SLIDER

Go Feck Yourself: A Work Story


OK. There is this dude at work, *Nick, or what I actually call him. (Now, anyway.) And I like him. Not like-like, (because apparently I am currently in 8th grade?) but I just like him. I think he's a cool dude. He reminds me some of my friend *Christopher - quiet, kind of anti/selectively social, doesn't really talk without a purpose to it. Very punk vibe, obviously intelligent. So I am friendly to him. And I stick up for him when people bitch about him and say he's an asshole and a dickhead. Eventually, I friend request him on facebook, because apparently he is much more social behind a screen.
And nothing happens for about a week. Either he denied it or ignored it.
So I send a message that just says "what the fuck?"
Nothing. Maybe he ignored it, maybe he blocked me, I don't know. I don't send him any other messages though, because I'm not a psycho.

So I am like...whatever. I continue being myself, being friendly to him and everyone, just going about my business at work and in life. My friend *Angela and I get together once a week and do something, usually just coffee, but we were like, "We should invite him along, he might have fun? We could all see a movie sometime, or whatever."

A week or so goes by and I have a super shitty day at work. Everything is going wrong and everyone is getting on my nerves. Asshattery is abundant. So I am dropping something off at his station and and I'm like "Dude, what the hell? Is there some particular reason you dislike me so much?" and he's looking at me like I'm a crazy person (which, to be fair, apparently I am), and I go "Well, I'm trying to be friendly, trying to get to know you and maybe be friends, and. . ." (I did leave the sentence hanging.) And he responds with this sort of Ryan Gosling-esque blank stare for a second and then says, flatly:
"We work at the same place, that's it." Pause. "I mean, I don't have any bad feelings about you. . . ."
(LOLS, if he didn't then, probably does now.)

So I just respond like:



So, yeah. 



6 comments

  1. AWWW. You are a beautiful mermaid princess! Your friendship is worth its weight in gold and diamonds and coffee and kitten snuggles!

    It's never wrong to reach out and try to be someone's friend. Maybe he's just a dick, and that's it - or maybe he struggles with other things and those struggles present as dickish. Whatever. You were kind, and no matter how he reacted, that's what matters.

    BUT HOW AWKWARD OMG. !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for the sweetest comments. You are such a cookie. (Okay, that was weird. I just wanted to say something sweet and yummy and just a little sweet treasure you'd want to enjoy and cookie came into my mind and now it's even weirder.)
      Anyway, yeah, I don't know what his life is behind the scenes, and it's not really my business unless he wants to get to know me, which he doesn't, so I don't pry. But the point is, I'm not sure what's going on inside, so I continue to go about my life. : )

      Delete
  2. Oh ouch :( :( :( My face would have been the reddest of reds.

    I usually like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but that was a really shitty way for him to handle that situation. Like, you can add people on Facebook that you don't really feel that close to, its just fucking Facebook.

    Like as if it isn't hard enough making friends as adults people have to act like that. Kudos to you though! It's never easy being the one to approach people to hang out and try to be friends with them.

    Do you think you will still feel inclined to stick up for him in the future? I think it would be hard for me, like I wouldn't go out of my way to be mean, but I would just be silent if other people were, ha. MY HEART IS ICE NOW SUCK IT LOSER. Loser in that statement being him of course ;)

    (Also: does he know you have a blog???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1.) I don't know if he is aware that I have a blog, but I seriously doubt it. If he did happen to be aware, I also seriously doubt he would read it, but I have learned not to assume. If I had to guess, I'd say he is not aware and if he was, wouldn't give a shit. :)
      2.) Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending - I have found myself still sticking up for him. I mean, I did make a comment about him having his head up his ass so he could hear it, but yes, I have been sticking up for him. Mainly because no one knows what goes on in someone's mind or life, you know? Maybe he's a total dick and maybe he has other stuff going on. I am trying hard to be like "just because he's an asshat doesn't mean I have to be." (Not easy - most of the time I want to tell him to go suck a bug, but alas, I don't.)

      Delete
  3. HIS LOSS! You are way too cool for his wannabe punk ass anyway! He sounds legit immature that he doesn't friend people on Facebook like a normal human, no one is that exclusive or special, the only people I don't accept friend requests from are mortal enemies or people who have been jerks to me.

    Seriously though don't even worry about it. I totally know what it's like to try to be friends with people who seem like they want to be your friend one minute and then cool off though, it seems to get better with age but then earlier this year I had it happen again with some girl - like "Oh, you were totally just using me for a sounding board/shoulder to cry on and are nothing but a vapid social butterfly who pretends to be friends with everyone they meet but is actually frinds with no one - I didn't know people like you even existed after high school, my bad!" ;-/People suck, but we are better off without the sucky people in our lives, the end! ;-0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you. I am trying to tell myself it is his loss. Which in a way, it is, because I am awesome friend (way better friend than I am blogger!) ;) but who knows? I also have to admit it's not like he is bound by some rule that says he must be open to getting to know me. It's not like you have to want to know everyone.
      To be honest, I have absolutely no idea what goes on in that head of his (because he's so share-y, you know lol) but it's like "whatevs." <<<Bad use of slang right there.
      I am super sorry that girl was stupid. It sounds like she has some serious issues of her own.
      But yeah, life is hard enough and sucky enough on its own without adding sucky people into the mix.

      Delete


© The United States of Becky • Theme by Maira G.