SLIDER

Film Friday: Let it Snow


source/imdb





Ugh. You  guys. This movie. It brings to mind the phrase "I can't even." 
It is based on the YA book of the same name, written by three YA authors, one of them unfortunately being John Green, most notably famous for The Fault in Our Stars.
Quick note: I don't GAF about John Green. I have never read any of his other works except for in Let it Snow and I don't care to. Green's contribution to the book is widely considered the weakest entry in the trilogy of stories that make up the book.

So what is this movie? 
Well, it's nowhere near as good as the book, and that's not saying much. 
This movie is basically one of those ensemble-cast where each character has their own storyline and they all somehow merge and have brilliant realizations at the end holiday movies. Except for 13 year olds, who still suffer the delusion that life will be exciting and full of parties in three or four years, instead of just more of the same, except with more pressure and some of them will be able to drive. If I was 13, I probably would've adored this movie.

What's good in this movie: 
Isabela Merced as "Julie." I feel like she did a good job without being over the top, and overall, I enjoyed her performance the most.  

The scenery was beautiful. 

The other actors were fine.

What's bad:
The stories are scattered and uneven, they feel incomplete.

The ridiculousness of the plot. Okay, in the book, the plots of the 3 stories are also ridiculous. But it's at least explained why there are essentially no parents. Here, watching this movie, I was like "It's Christmas Eve! What the fuck are you kids doing? Don't you have families to go home to? Or something better to do? Where the hell are your parents?" There is no reason for most of the characters in the movie to actually be in the movie, and the motivations are pretty much non-existent.

But, because every teen movie apparently needs a party of some kind, the writers and producers decided that one of the characters had to be an aspiring DJ to put together a Christmas Eve party at the Waffle House Town so he can hopefully be discovered by some other stupid famous DJ who is allegedly going to be there later. (Spoiler: he doesn't show.) 

There is also the teenager who can't afford college and has a scholarship to her dream school but probably can't go anyway because Mommy is slowly dying from plot contrivance disease. But! Don't worry. It will all work out for both her and aspiring DJ boy, because one of the people who are "stranded" in this tiny town on Christmas Eve is a famous hip hop singer who just happens to form a luuuvvvv connection over the course of a few hours with poor girl who can't afford Columbia.

Ultimately, it's just stupid. The movie is stupid and not funny and that's not just because of my age.


D

Heads Up: No warnings.

A Netflix Original, currently available on Netflix.




4 comments

  1. This looks like straight up trash, ugh, no thanks. I'm glad I never even heard of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book was on the "free" cart at a local used bookstore, so I was like "sure." There are worse ways to pass a couple hours. But the movie is too dumb to be allowed.

      Delete
  2. I will watch a lot of crappy Christmas movies ngl but this one does look like a lot going on from the trailer, think I will give it a pass based on your review too (I probably wasn't going to watch it anyway tbh!). Plus they all look 12, maybe the kids will like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am generally willing to watch a lot of crappy holiday movies, but I won't watch this again. Just too much. Obviously being 39 watching a movie that is geared toward 13 year olds probably makes a difference. But I watched and semi-enjoyed the Grumpy Cat Christmas Movie, so....
      I actually watched this mainly because I had read the book and was curious.

      Delete


© The United States of Becky • Theme by Maira G.