SLIDER

Film Friday: Anna and the Apocalypse

source/imdb


Four words:
Scottish. Zombie. Christmas. Musical.
That's pretty much what you need to know about Anna and the Apocalypse.
A 2017 musical horror comedy, I have no idea why this wasn't on my radar far sooner than now. Alas.




Now, in the tradition of being the main girl, Anna is the least interesting character in the entire film. However, she does deviate from the typical final girl formula in that, rather than being a good girl who thinks of others first and has more conscience than any other character in the film, Anna is kind of a snot, and exceptionally good at making everything about herself. So, I guess, more real-world normal? Still, not a very interesting or likable character.

At any rate, the plot is straightforward: It's December 22nd/23rd, there's a high school Christmas pageant. Anna thinks her small town is so lame so she's going to work instead. Singing! Zombies! Christmas decorations! Teenagers dealing with adults who are just so unfair and unrequited crushes!


Image result for dumbledore love's keen sting gif


The zombie apocalypse happens and our teens must work together to join other teens at the school. There is mayhem, carnage, and musical numbers.

I am not normally a fan of musicals, so the fact that I enjoyed this is quite something. I don't have any complaints really, except perhaps I think some of the relationships between characters could have been explored a little bit more, and I identified more with the mean, unfair adults than the kids, so I would probably skip those songs, even though they are appropriate for the characters.

All around, a fun romp I would definitely watch again.
Currently available on Hulu.

B+

Heads Up: Blood, Gore, Violence, Language. 






2 comments

  1. Shut.The.Front.Door.
    I NEED TO WATCH THIS MOVIE. I absolutely ADORE musicals. Shaun of the Dead meets La La Land??? YESSSSS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Watch it. I would love to see what you think. I don't generally go for musicals, but this was so fun and it seemed appropriate. :)

      Delete


© The United States of Becky • Theme by Maira G.