SLIDER

5 Things That Keep Me From Blogging

 



This is 1000% NOT how I wanted to introduce this series, which was 100% inspired by Heather's List Series.


1.) Depression
This is the most major, and longest running reason. I have a few posts started about the whole thing, but the short-short version is I was in a dark grey downward spiral. It lasted for a long time. (Apparently it was a thing this winter. But suffice to say, when you cannot force yourself to get out of bed, and spend three hours convincing yourself to check the mail, you're not going to be interneting much.
 
2.) Too Much "Fucking Around"
By this I mean that I often get caught up in certain details that are the frosting of the post cake. If I can't find a header I like, I'll have to create one, and then that's a black hole of stock images and fonts and...you get the idea. Case in point: I wanted to use a particular gif for this post, but I could only find one version of it and I didn't like it. I considered a meme version of it, but the quality wasn't what I wanted. Ultimately, to get the exact gif I want, I will have to create it, which will again turn into a black hole. I forced myself to just move on. (For now.)
 
3.) Actual Life
Work, dealing with medical stuff, attempting some measure of upkeep on the apartment, fighting the never-ending battle of cat hair, and whenever possible, spending time with Shawn. 
 
4.) Total Lazyness
Yeah, no excuse. I can't count the number of times I was like "I'm going to blog after dinner," and then ...nope. Or "I'm going to work on my blog and catch up on reading today. And then find myself getting sucked into watching shitty movies.
 
5.) Insecurity (This is tied in with #2)
I always wonder if my posts are interesting enough. I suppose they are interesting enough for my loyal readers, whom I love and adore, and at the core, the blog should be for ME. But I often find that hard to remember. I often worry if I'm too wordy. Or if my posts won't be interesting enough if I don't have enough pictures. 
 
 
 When Imgurians try Reddit: - GIF on Imgur
 
(This is not why I add gifs to everything; I just really like them.)



I think the TL;DR, pics-or-it-didn't-happen, zero attention span culture gets to me sometimes. Even though that's not how I roll and therefore not even my audience, it doesn't stop me from feeling self- conscious about it, and wondering if I should search for pictures, or create more pictures. 
But not just that. When I actively DO want to put a picture up, I often fret over background and lighting. Not like I'm such a pro. But. 
Example:
I am working on another post of 5 Things That Improved My Quality of Life. 
A few of the items on the list I have taken pics of, for a more personal feel. But then I get caught up in how I should pose the item; should I use something as a background or just lay it on my desk with no worries? And then I obsess over getting a clean, clear shot, with as little shadow as possible. I once took over 20 pictures of an anti-chafing stick. Ultimately, I still wasn't happy with the result, because it felt "amateur" and like something a grade schooler would present, and I sometimes feel like a dunce. 


So I guess you could boil it all down to overthinking and being a bit neurotic. And lazy. But I'm getting better. 












3 comments

  1. I use to take like fifty to a hundred photos trying to get the "perfect" one... now, I limit it to five or less. If it doesn't happen, whatever "it" is, in those five, too bad, so sad, pick one. If I don't limit myself on choices, blog or otherwise (like hello, buying skates was such a PROCESS and took over a whole fucking YEAR), I will make myself miserable. Like right now picking a paint color for my bathroom. TWO. FUCKING. YEARS. And I'm still not at 100% percent but I just walked away and was like this is it. It's just paint!!!

    Have you ever watched the movie Secretary? There is a line in there: "I like dull work" which... if you haven't seen the scene maybe doesn't translate well, but I like reading the "mundane/everyday" stuff people post. So please know that I am here, reading your stuff, and enjoying it :)

    Also: I've never made a gif. Do you think you could do a post on how you do one?
    And I have just about given up right now on the cat hair. There are five cats in my house. It is shedding season. My house is like fifty percent cat hair and dander right now. Sorry allergic friends but you shouldn't be in my house right now anyways. Like I went to the dentist, and there was cat hair on my mask, and they had to remove cat hair that stuck to my lips. Could I be any more embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen Secretary and I really enjoyed it! I don't remember that scene, but I get the vibe. I feel the same. - I like reading about the stuff of people's lives. Like, if you went on vacation, awesome! But I also enjoy following along as it takes someone 2 years to pick a paint color, and shares what they wear and what they are insecure about wearing. THAT is what makes the person interesting.
    Thank you for always reading my blog. It does mean a lot to me.
    I will do my best to post about all the gif stuff. :)

    I bought a Furminator cat hair brush (have you heard of this? I can link to it if you want) - and while we're still drowning in cat hair, it has improved a lot. Castor LOVES it. Whenever I hold it up and say "Want brush?" he comes running and starts dancing around and arching his back for it. Meanwhile Pollux is like "No." (I can brush him but only a little at a time and only with a boar bristle brush.) Point is: it helped. But I'm still buying lint rollers like I own stock in the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband just bought a furminator! Some of the cats LOVE being combed and brushed, some not so much, or just in small doses.

      Delete


© The United States of Becky • Theme by Maira G.