SLIDER

Film Friday: Scream VI


source/RT



We've all seen the trailer. This is the "final trailer."




Shawn & I saw this on the Sunday of opening weekend and I am just behind on posting about it.

There are a lot of things to love about Scream VI.
There are also some definite missteps and some things I honestly don't know how I feel about yet. 
 
Going to the theater is an experience. First of all, often movie-going - for myself or for both of us - includes family. Often we are going with my brother, sister, and nephew, or some combination thereof. 
So there is the fun and the socializing and the anticipation and the popcorn and the audience uniting in their desire to see this story play out. I genuinely believe this can sometimes play a factor in how movies are judged, both initially and in retrospect. 
Everyone has a movie they had an opinion about in when it was in theaters, and changed when they watched it at home. (Obviously there are SO MANY other factors, but I'm not actually here to analyze all the various factors that influence how someone views a film.)

What was good:
 - Some of the scenes had excellent suspense, even if you kind of knew how  it was going to play out, it was still gripping, edge-of-your-seat fun.
 - Jenna Ortega is, as always, in top form.
 - Delightful visuals. 
 - Just good popcorn fun.
 - I enjoyed the intro with Samara Weaving; it was a delightful & unique opening mini-story to introduce us to this installment.

What was bad:
 - The killer(s) are pretty easy to identify
 - Plot holes like swiss cheese.
 - We don't really get to know the new members of the cast. While Scream (5) had all new cast members, we were still able to get to know each and every one of them sufficiently to know who they were and what they are about. 

I don't know:
 - The motive(s). I mean. I guess? The trailer plays it up as "I'm something different" - but like, is it though? Especially since Scream (5) had the whole "something feels different" thing going in promotion as well. And don't quote me on this, because I could be 1000% wrong, but didn't Scream 4 also say "something is different"? I honestly can't remember. 
- People who should've died not dying. I am of two minds on this. I know they want for characters to go on for the sequels, but it honestly feels like the stakes were as low as in Rise of Skywalker

(George of the Jungle) - source



It detracts from the emotions of the scene (where you thought they died) - I feel like it could work out in the long run for Scream 7, but we'll have to see how it plays out. 


For now, I'm giving it a C+

Heads Up: Language I think? Gore, violence. 
 



2 comments

  1. So I can't be sure I've seen any of the Scream movies, just bits and pieces, satire, pop culture, etc. It's like Harry Potter and Twilight, it just becomes part of the social ether, ha. I do agree that seeing a film in the theater is totally different than at home. It's social!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And your point about the social ether is spot on. I have decided that so far, S6 is my least favorite of the franchise. So there's that.

      Delete


© The United States of Becky • Theme by Maira G.